This is to help
students plan and decide on your programme of study for the next year and
beyond. It contains information about the courses available in NCEA at Levels
1, 2 and 3.
It is vital that students select courses based on their individual learning paths. Prior to deciding on options students should seek advice from Heads of Faculty, Deans, Form Class Teachers and the Careers Counsellor.
Be careful to select an academic pathway that allows you to attain
your goals beyond Katikati College.
When selecting subjects and courses, the following should be kept in mind:
- How a subject will help and where it will lead to;
- The level of interest and ability in the subject;
- In Years 11 and 12 especially, consider a balanced education that does not specialise too soon in one subject field.
- As you select your Level 1 courses you must ensure that they offer you at least 10 literacy and numeracy credits overall.
- If you need University Entrance, as you select your Level 2 and 3 courses you must ensure that they offer you at least 5 UE Lit. Reading credits and 5 UE Lit. Writing credits overall. To ensure entry into Level 3 English classes you will need to have successfully completed the Level 2 Visual English Semester and the Level 2 Written English Semester.
ALTHOUGH STUDENTS SELECT OPTIONS, DUE TO TIMETABLE CONTSTRAINTS IT IS NOT GUARANTEED THAT THEY WILL BE ABLE TO BE PLACED IN EVERY SUBJECT THEY CHOOSE.
Seek information from:
§ The Careers Department
§ Heads of Faculty/ your subject teacher
§ Your Dean
Students in Year 13 that take courses at both Level 2 and 3 must remember that 60 credits are needed to pass Level 3. If possible ensure you have the potential to gain at least this amount.